What is the HPA axis?
The HPA axis stands for the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis.
It’s the terminology used for the three areas of the body (hypothalamus, pituitary and adrenal), that triggers the stress response.
When we face a stressor in our environment…..
– The part of the brain called the hypothalamus is activated.
– This then communicates with another part of the brain called the pituitary gland.
– The pituitary gland will communicate with the adrenal glands, above the kidneys, to release cortisol – the stress hormone.
– The body is now officially in stress mode.
– When the adrenal glands release cortisol, this signals the hypothalamus to stop communicating with the pituitary gland that tells the adrenals to stop releasing cortisol. This is the loop that brings the body out of stress mode.
Align, the mental wellbeing app
The lifestyle we lead, and the choices we make, all influence the state of our mental wellbeing. The first point of call for improving mental health should be to look at our lifestyle choices, such as food, sleep, relationships and purpose for example. By doing this, it establishes a strong foundation for good mental health, that is long term and sustainable.
Align is the mental wellbeing app that guides you on how to build and sustain good mental wellbeing, through tailored lifestyle tweaks.
Make sure you sign up to our mailing list, below, to receive exclusive access to our app.